It took me two weeks of back and forth emails with their support for them to acknowledge the problem. Finally they agreed for me to return the unit, despite the fact it had been faulty from the outset. They told me initially that I wasn’t eligible for an exchange, then they relented and informed me that the unit was covered by a standard warranty and that I should send it back to them for a replacement. Progress! I’ve had faults with products before, it happens. I once had a memory card go bad and Sandisk arranged for it to be collected, then sent me a brand new one as a replacement. That’s customer service done well.
Drobo made me ship the item back to them. To Holland. It cost me £56 just to post it back to them. I asked if that would be refunded and they said no. Great. Thanks. Three weeks went by and I’d heard nothing. I checked the tracking to see if it had been delivered and it had, two and a half weeks earlier, on the 8th February. On the 21st February they were still claiming it hadn’t arrived. I sent them the tracking proof and suddenly I was told they had found it and would send out a replacement.
At this point I had put in quite a bit of money, time and effort in trying to get a functioning Drobo. But naively I was still hopeful that it would all end well. And so, a couple of weeks ago the new Drobo arrived. I fitted some brand new disks to it (just in case my previous ones had somehow caused the issue with the first unit). I powered it on. I waited for it to initialise. All the disks seemed to be working. The green lights were on, it was all looking good!